Friday, December 9, 2011

Joan's Bucket list entry No. 1


 



Have you ever had an original musical thought?  I haven't really unless I am helping a student write a Mozart cadenza.  But I have always been curious about those who hear in their imagination something that has not yet been written.

So, when I came across Rhonda Larson's Flute Weekend, "So you think you can't write your own music?" I ran for the date book, only to find out that I am booked for March 9 to 11 this year. I know from my reaction that this was something I need to do, and so it was added to my "Bucket List."

Held in an 1887 one-room school house near Kalamazoo, MI, the class features group and individual sessions.  Each participant (class size is limited to 14) will bring an original 8-bar melody to the class, in any tempo or style-something that means something to the performer.  (If you feel you cannot yet come up with a phrase of your own, Rhonda will supply you with your own melody for individual work in the class)

 This melody will be crafted during participants' individual masterclass in which Rhonda will work with you in front of the class. This individual work will include expanding your musical ideas.  Other elements of the course include work on the fundamental elements of flute playing such as sound, posture, and the overall Art of Performance, including performance anxiety issues and proper ergonomics in playing the flute.

All other class activities are GROUP participation, led by Rhonda.

Recording devices are highly recommended in this inventing process, so you do not forget what you just made up....

For more details, visit Rhonda's web site:  http://www.rhondalarson.com/workshops.htm.

Meanwhile, watch for Rhonda's music in the Flute Pro Shop music catalog.  You will want to add these lovely works to your library!  I sure do.

No comments:

Post a Comment