Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Hijacked!

Very early last Tuesday morning, my email was hacked and destroyed my ability to access my email, Face book page, my blog, and more.   This lasted more than a week.  Gmail took 6 days to respond to my "I suspect my computer has been hacked" posting to their "Help" page.  Gmail has no human contact potential for these incidents.

The most malicious act: every single address in my contact list was altered.  The letters "ae" were inserted before the @ sign.  All 2,716 contacts.  Nice.

So, Hackers: read this. Not sure what you expected to gain from all of this mayhem, but aside from a little labor-intensive time to recreate my on line life, and using the hard copies and spreadsheets on the Flute Pro Shop computers, we are back and better than ever. 


I have learned a few things I would like to share so that others don't have to go through the same insanity:
1.  When you are not on your email page, shut it down.  Don't leave it signed on when the computer is in "sleep" mode.
2.  Use G-mail's 2-step verification.
3.  Don't use an unsecured public network. IE: airport, cafe, or hotel.
4.  Back up everything!
5.  Make sure your router's security is up to date and turned on.
6.  Invest in the best firewall protection out there.

I am wondering: what if all this creativity and technological know-how were to be used for something positive in the world?

Hmm...


No comments:

Post a Comment